USS Wyandotte (1864)
|The USS Wyandotte at Boston Navy Yrad during the Spanish-American War.|
The USS Wyandotte at Boston Navy Yard during the Spanish-American War.
|Ordered:||15 September 1862|
|Laid down:||28 September 1862|
|Launched:||22 December 1864|
|Commissioned:||16 April 1864|
|Decommissioned:||20 September 1898|
USS Vesuvius, 15 June 1869|
USS Wyandotte, 10 August 1869
|Fate:||Sold, 17 January 1899|
|Length:||223 ft (68 m)|
|Beam:||43 ft 4 in (13.21 m)|
|Draft:||13 ft 6 in (4.11 m)|
|Propulsion:||2 boilers, 1-shaft Ericsson vibrating lever engine, 320 ihp (235 kW)|
|Complement:||85 officers and enlisted|
|Armament:||2 × 15 in (381 mm) Dahlgren smoothbore guns|
Side: 5 - 3 in (12.7 - 7.6 cm)
Turret: 10 in (25.4 cm)
Pilothouse: 8 in (20.3 cm)
Deck: 1½ in (3.8 cm)
USS Wyandotte was a Canonicus class monitor originally named Tippecanoe. Constructed by Miles Greenwood at the shipyard of John Litherbury at Cincinnati, Ohio, Tippecanoe was laid down on 28 September 1862 and launched on 22 December 1864. However, she was not completed until 1866 when she was laid up at New Orleans, LA. In 1869, she was twice renamed: to Vesuvius on 15 June and to Wyandotte on 10 August.
Between 1870 and 1872, the monitor was laid up at Key West, FL, and at the Philadelphia Navy Yard. In 1873 and 1874, Wyandotte underwent extensive repairs by John Roach & Sons at Chester, Pennsylvania. On 24 January 1876, the warship was commissioned, with Lieutenant Thomas C. Terrell in command.
Wyandotte operated with the North Atlantic Squadron off the east coast into 1879, on exercises and training cruises, basing for a time out of Hampton Roads, VA. She later served as station ship at Washington, DC, before being laid up in 1885 and placed in ordinary - first at Richmond, VA and then at Norfolk, VA.
Transferred to the Connecticut state militia in 1896, she was serving in this capacity when, at the opening of the Spanish-American War, some citizens along the eastern seaboard felt apprehensive, lest the Spanish Navy attack American cities. Their anxiety was fed by the fact that the major warships of the United States Navy had gathered around Key West far from the major metropolitan centers to the north. This uneasiness swept over the east coast and produced a clamor for the Navy to take steps to protect the "endangered" cities.
As a result, the Navy reactivated old ships - for the most part, of Civil War vintage - for local defense. Recommissioned on 30 April 1898, with Lt. John B. Milton in command, Wyandotte sailed from New Haven, CT, on 17 May, to guard Boston, MA. The venerable warship remained on station from 19 May to 5 September, but no Spanish armada ever appeared.
After hostilities ended, Wyandotte steamed to Philadelphia, PA, where she arrived on 9 September. She was decommissioned there on 20 September and later sold for scrap on 17 January 1899.
- See USS Tippecanoe for other ships of this name.
- See USS Vesuvius for other ships of this name.
- See USS Wyandotte for other ships of this name.
- This article contains text from the US Naval Historical Center.
- This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.
- Additional technical data from Gardiner, Robert (1979). Conway's All The World's Fighting Ships 1860-1905. Conway Maritime Press. p. 122. ISBN 0 85177 133 5.