HMS Salisbury (1698)
|Builder:||Richard and James Herring, Baileys Hard|
|Launched:||18 April 1698|
|Captured:||By the French, 10 May 1703|
|Acquired:||10 May 1703|
|Fate:||Captured by the British on 15 March 1708|
|Career (Great Britain)|
|Name:||HMS Salisbury Prize|
|Acquired:||15 March 1708|
|Renamed:||HMS Preston on 2 January 1716|
Hulked in September 1748;|
Broken up in November 1749
|General characteristics as built|
|Class and type:||50-gun fourth rate ship of the line|
|Tons burthen:||681 long tons (691.9 t)|
|Length:||134 ft 4.5 in (41.0 m)|
|Beam:||34 ft 2 in (10.4 m)|
|Depth of hold:||13 ft 6 in (4.1 m)|
|Sail plan:||Full rigged ship|
|Armament:||50 guns of various weights of shot|
|General characteristics after 1742 rebuild|
|Class and type:||1733 proposals 50-gun fourth rate ship of the line|
|Tons burthen:||853 long tons (866.7 t)|
|Length:||134 ft (40.8 m) (gundeck)|
|Beam:||38 ft 6 in (11.7 m)|
|Depth of hold:||15 ft 9 in (4.8 m)|
|Sail plan:||Full rigged ship|
HMS Salisbury was a 50-gun fourth rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, built by Richard and James Herring at Baileys Hard (near Bucklers Hard) on the Beaulieu River in Hampshire, England and launched on 18 April 1698.
Salisbury was commissioned in 1699 under her first commander, Captain Richard Lestock. The following year she joined Admiral George Rooke's fleet in the Baltic, and remained with Rooke off Dunkirk in 1701. Lestock was succeeded by Captain Richard Cotton, but while off Orford Ness on 10 April 1703 she encountered and was attacked by a squadron consisting of four French warships, including the Adroit, and three privateers. After an engagement which left 17 killed and 34 wounded, Salisbury was taken by the French. She served with the French under the name Salisbury, and for a time was part of Claude de Forbin's squadron.
On 1 May 1707, Salisbury very nearly fell back into English hands. Salisbury was part of the Dunkirk Squadron that attacked the English convoy commanded by Baron Wylde. Captain George Clements lost his life in defence of HMS Hampton Court, but not before his crew so disabled Salisbury that she was left for a wreck, later recovered by the French who could not fit her out in time for their next warring exploit.
She was finally recaptured off Scotland on 15 March 1708 by HMS Leopard and other ships of Sir George Byng's squadron. She was renamed HMS Salisbury Prize, as a new HMS Salisbury had already been built. She was renamed HMS Preston on 2 January 1716.
On 8 May 1739 Preston was ordered to be taken to pieces and rebuilt at Plymouth according to the 1733 proposals of the 1719 Establishment, and was relaunched on 18 September 1742. She was then hulked at Trincomalee in September 1748 and broken up there in November 1749.
- Lavery, Ships of the Line vol.1, p164.
- Lavery, Ships of the Line vol.1, p171.
- Winfield. British Warships. p. 128.
- Wm. Whetstone, letter July 9, 1707 from the Dreadnought
- Colledge, J. J.; Warlow, Ben (2006) . Ships of the Royal Navy: the complete record of all fighting ships of the Royal Navy (Rev. ed.). London: Chatham. ISBN 9781861762818. OCLC 67375475.
- Lavery, Brian (2003) The Ship of the Line - Volume 1: The development of the battlefleet 1650-1850. Conway Maritime Press. ISBN 0-85177-252-8.
- Winfield, Rif (2007). British Warships of the Age of Sail 1714–1792: Design, Construction, Careers and Fates. Seaforth. ISBN 1-86176-295-X.
|50px||This article about a ship of the line of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Ship Spotting World by expanding it.|