SS Empire Airman (1941)
Empire Airman (1942-46)|
San Wenceslao (1946-59)
Ministry of War Transport (1941-46)|
Eagle Oil & Transport Co (1946-59)
|Operator:||Eagle Oil & Transport Co (1942-59)|
|Port of registry:||Sunderland|
|Builder:||Sir J Laing & Sons Ltd., Sunderland|
|Launched:||18 November 1941|
UK Official Number 169009|
Code letters BCWX
|Fate:||Scrapped in Hong Kong, 1959|
|Tons burthen:||9,813 GRT|
|Length:||484 feet (147.52 m)|
|Beam:||68 feet 3 inches (20.80 m)|
|Depth:||36 feet 1 inch (11.00 m)|
|Propulsion:||1 x triple expansion steam engine (North East Marine Engineering Co (1938) Ltd, Newcastle upon Tyne) 674 hp (503 kW)|
|Speed:||14 knots (26 km/h)|
Empire Airman was a 9,813 ton tanker which was built in 1941. She was renamed San Wenceslao in 1946 and served until 1959 when she was scrapped.
Empire Airman was built by Sir J Laing & Sons Ltd, Sunderland as yard number 739. She was launched on 18 November 1941 and completed in January 1942. Empire Airman was owned by the Ministry of War Transport and operated under the management of the Eagle Oil & Transport Co.
Empire Airman was a member of a number of convoys during the Second World War.
- HX 178
- SL 112
Convoy SL 112 departed from Freetown on 4 June 1942 and arrived at Liverpool on 23 June. Empire Airman joined the convoy at sea, being en route from Aruba to Belfast laden with oil and motor spirit.
- KMS 4
- MKS 16A
From 1944, Empire Airman was under charter to an American oil company to carry aviation fuel. She operated between Williamstown on the Yarra River and various Pacific islands, including New Guinea and the Solomon Islands.
Post war service
Official number and code letters
Official numbers were a forerunner to IMO Numbers.
- ""1169009"" (subscription required). Miramar Ship Index. R.B. Haworth. http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz. Retrieved 2008-12-20.
- "Empire - A". Mariners. http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/EmpireA.html. Retrieved 2008-12-20.
- "CONVOY HX 178". Warsailors. http://www.warsailors.com/convoys/hx178.html. Retrieved 2008-12-20.
- "ConvoySL.112". Convoyweb. http://www.convoyweb.org.uk/sl/index.html?sl112.htm~slmain. Retrieved 2008-12-20.
- "Convoy MKS.16A". Convoyweb. http://www.convoyweb.org.uk/mks/index.html?mks.php?convoy=16A!~mksmain. Retrieved 2008-12-20.
- "Mr D W Halden's story". BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/33/a6126833.shtml. Retrieved 2008-12-20.
- "STEAMERS & MOTORSHIPS". Plimsoll Ship Data. http://www.plimsollshipdata.org/pdffile.php?name=41b0991.pdf. Retrieved 2008-12-20.
- Photo of SS San Wenceslao