USS General Greene (1799)
|Name:||USS General Greene|
|Builder:||Benjamin Talman and James de Wolf|
|Launched:||21 January 1799|
|Fate:||Burned, 24 August 1814|
|Displacement:||654 long tons (664 t)|
|Length:||124 ft 3 in (37.87 m)|
|Beam:||34 ft 8 in (10.57 m)|
|Draft:||17 ft 4 in (5.28 m)|
|Complement:||250 officers and enlisted|
• 24 × 12-pounder guns|
• 6 × 6-pounder guns
Named after American Revolution General Nathaneal Greene, she was built under government contract by Benjamin Talman and James De Wolf at Warren, Rhode Island. Launched on 21 January 1799, the frigate was placed under command of Captain Christopher R. Perry. Perry's son, a young midshipman named Oliver Hazard Perry, was assigned to his father's ship.
General Greene sailed on 2 June 1799, joining the Governor Jay in convoying five merchantmen to Havana. Damage suffered in a heavy gale caused her to put in at Havana for repairs, and her crew was struck with yellow fever. More than 20 died and the frigate returned to Newport, Rhode Island, on 27 July with 37 men in various stages of recovery. After a thorough cleaning, fumigation, and change of ballast, she departed Newport on 23 September 1799 to take station at Cap Francois, San Domingo.
General Greene remained off San Domingo for the following six months. In company with Boston, on 1 December 1799 she assisted in the capture of the schooner Flying Fish and retook the American schooner Weymouth, which had been captured by French privateer Hope. Much of her time was spent watching over the rebellion against General Toussaint in Haiti. She blockaded the port of Jacmel to cut off supplies of the rebels, and gave direct gunfire support to General Toussaint's army in the capture of Jacmel on 27 February 1800. She remained at Jacmel as a possible haven for American citizens until 27 April, when she sailed with two representatives sent by General Toussaint for an audience with the President of the United States, John Adams. Stopping at New Orleans, she embarked General James Wilkinson and his family for transport home. General Greene then proceeded as escort for 12 merchantmen bound to Havana. She finally returned to Newport, arriving on 21 July 1800.
General Greene's crew was discharged and the frigate remained idle at Newport, until Captain Perry was retired under the Peace Establishment Act of 3 April 1801, after which she was laid up in ordinary at the Washington Navy Yard. She served as a floating sick bay for frigate Constellation in 1803, and was reduced to a sheer hulk in 1805.
- This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.