|Career||Confederate Navy Jack|
|Builder:||Howard and Ellis, Kinston, North Carolina|
|Fate:||Burned to prevent capture, March 1865|
|Length:||152 ft (46 m)|
|Beam:||34 ft (10 m)|
|Draft:||9 ft (2.7 m)|
|Armament:||2 × 6.4 in (160 mm) Brooke rifles|
|CSS NEUSE (Ironclad Gunboat)|
|U.S. National Register of Historic Places|
[[image:Template:Location map North Carolina|235px|CSS Neuse is located in Template:Location map North Carolina]]
<div style="position: absolute; z-index: 2; top: Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation character "[".%; left: Expression error: Unexpected < operator.%; height: 0; width: 0; margin: 0; padding: 0;">
[[Image:Template:Location map North Carolina|7x7px|link=|alt=]]
|Nearest city:||Kinston, North Carolina|
|Architect:||Confederate Navy Dept.; Howard & Ellis|
|Added to NRHP:||11 June 2001|
The CSS Neuse was an ironclad warship of the Confederate States Navy during the American Civil War. The remains of the ship can now be seen at an exhibit in Kinston, North Carolina as the CSS Neuse State Historic Site and Governor Caswell Memorial. The ship is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
A contract for the construction on the CSS Neuse was signed on 17 October 1862 by the shipbuilding company of Thomas Howard and Elijah Ellis and the Confederate Navy. Work began in October on the bank across the Neuse River (her namesake) in North Carolina from the small village of Whitehall (present day Seven Springs). She was designed similarly to the CSS Albemarle. Her hull structure was 158 feet (48 m) long by 34 feet (10 m) wide made of mostly pine wood, abundant in the region. Many delays were incurred due to the lack of materials, mostly wrought iron for her deck plating. The Confederate Army exercised priority over the Navy on use of the railroads.
Launched in November 1863, Neuse sailed in April 1864 for duty on the inland waters of North Carolina as part of the force under Comdr. R. F. Pinkney, CSN. Shortly thereafter she grounded off Kinston and remained fast for almost a month. She never left the river, and in March 1865 she was burned by the Confederates to escape capture by the Union Army under Maj. Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman.
Nearly a century later the remains of the ship were discovered. It was raised in 1963. Later the ship was installed beside the river at the Governor Caswell Memorial in Kinston.
- This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- CSS Neuse State Historic Site
- CSS Neuse Foundation
- CSS Neuse Gunboat Association Inc.
- Naval Training Ship CSS Neuse
- Civil War Album