New York Central Tugboat 13

From SpottingWorld, the Hub for the SpottingWorld network...
Tug13 copy.jpeg

New York Central Railroad Tugboat No. 13 is a railroad tug boat built in 1887 in Camden, NJ by John A. Dialogue and Sons.

Other vessels built by John A. Dialogue and Sons include:

- The Hercules (1907) at the San Francisco Maritime Museum - Hull No. 204801

- The Susan Elizabeth (1886) launched as the C. C. Clark and briefly served as New York Central No. 3. This boat was broken up in the fall of 2008 in the same yard in Tottenville, NY where New York Central 13 is being restored.

- The Elise Anne Connors (1881)

It is currently undergoing extensive renovation at Garpo Marine in Tottenville, Staten Island, NY.

This tugboat was built for the New York Central Railroad to push barges, called car floats, carrying railroad cars and other freight across the waterways of New York harbor.

It originally had a steam engine of 232 horsepower, but that engine was replaced with two General Motors 6-110 diesel engines in the 1950s. In 1965, GM Diesel became the Detroit Diesel Engine Division. The two engines sit back-to-back and drive a central Falk gearbox, which turns the single propeller. Two new keel coolers from Fernstrum have been installed in a recessed box in the hull to cool these engines.

The hull is riveted and made of wrought iron.

External links - A photoblog of the restoration of this tugboat


13and sisterscropped.jpg

NYC13onlift copy.JPG