USNS Mission De Pala (T-AO-114)
|Name:||USNS Mission De Pala|
|Laid down:||10 June 1943|
|Launched:||25 August 1943|
|Commissioned:||23 November 1943|
|Decommissioned:||4 December 1957|
|Struck:||13 March 1958|
|Fate:||Rebuilt as Missile Range Instrumentation Ship, USNS Redstone (T-AGM-20), 1964-?|
|Class and type:||Mission Buenaventura-class oiler|
5,532 long tons (5,621 t) light|
21,880 long tons (22,231 t) full
|Length:||524 ft (160 m)|
|Beam:||68 ft (21 m)|
|Draft:||30 ft (9.1 m)|
|Speed:||16.5 knots (30.6 km/h; 19.0 mph)|
SS Mission De Pala was a Type T2-SE-A2 tanker built for the United States Maritime Commission during World War II. After the war she was acquired by the United States Navy as USS Mission De Pala (AO-114). Later the tanker transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service as USNS Mission De Pala (T-AO-114). She was a member of the Mission Buenaventura-class oiler and was named for Mission San Antonio de Pala in in eastern San Diego County, California.
World War II, 1943–1946
Mission De Pala was laid down on 26 November 1943 under a Maritime Commission contract by Marine Ship Corporation, Sausalito, California; launched on 28 February 1944, sponsored by Mrs. Francis D. Malone; and delivered on 22 April 1944.
Chartered to Pacific Tankers Inc. on 22 April for operations, she spent the remainder of the war carrying oil and fuel to allied forces overseas, in the Pacific (during which time she was three times awarded the Navy Battle "E" Ribbon as well as the National Defense Service Medal). Returned to the Maritime Commission on 28 May 1946, she was laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Mobile, Alabama.
Acquired by the Navy on 22 October 1947 she was designated Mission De Pala (AO-114) and placed in service with Naval Transportation Service (NTS). Taken over by the Military Sea Transportation Service (MSTS) on 1 October 1949 she was designated USNS Mission De Pala (T-AO-114). Her service with MSTS was brief and on 23 December 1949 she was returned to the Maritime Commission and laid up in the Reserve Fleet at Orange, Texas.
Korean War, 1950–1954
When the Korean War broke out, there was an urgent need for logistics support vessels, especially tankers, so on 21 July 1950 Mission De Pala was reacquired by the Navy and placed in service with MSTS on the same date. The tanker spent most of the war shuttling between Korea, Pearl Harbor, and the west coast of the United States carrying fuel overseas. Transferred to the Maritime Administration on 15 November 1954 she was laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at James River, Virginia. She was struck from the Naval Vessel Register on 22 June 1955.
Reacquired by the Navy on 6 July 1956 she was placed in service with MSTS and operated, under charter, by Marine Transport Lines, Inc., until 13 March 1958 when she was again returned to the Maritime Administration and laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Orange. She was struck from the Naval Vessel Register on the same date.
Conversion to instrumentation ship, 1964–
Once again the call to service came and on 19 September 1964 the Mission De Pala was reacquired for the Navy for conversion into a missile‑range instrumentation ship. Converted at General Dynamics Quincy Shipbuilding Division, Quincy, Massachusetts she was "jumboized" by having a 72‑foot section added amidships, an extensive array of electronic equipment was installed and a nest of antennas added topside. Essentially the ship was virtually rebuilt in order to prepare her for her new role. While under conversion, she was renamed and redesignated Johnstown (AGM-20) on 8 April 1965, but she was renamed Redstone on 1 September 1965. Upon completion of conversion, she was accepted on 30 June 1966 by MSTS, for service as USNS Redstone (T-AGM-20). Designed for use as a seagoing tracking station for the Apollo program test series and moon shot, into 1969, she continued these duties and played her part in helping fulfill the late President John F. Kennedy's pledge to land a man on the moon before 1970.
The ship's final disposition is unknown.
This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.
- "Mission De Pala". Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/m12/mission_de_pala.htm. Retrieved April 1, 2006.
- "T-AO-114 Mission De Pala / T-AGM-20 Johnstown / T-AGM-20 Redstone". Fleet Oiler (AO) Photo Index. http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/53/5320.htm. Retrieved April 1, 2006.
- Wikipedia articles incorporating text from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
- Type T2-SE-A2 tankers
- Ships built in Sausalito, California
- 1943 ships
- World War II tankers of the United States
- Mission Buenaventura class tankers
- Type T2-SE-A2 tankers of the United States Navy
- United States Navy California-related ships
- United States Navy Alabama-related ships