USS Arided (AK-73)
|Builder:||Permanente Metals Corporation, Richmond, California|
|Laid down:||20 September 1942|
|Launched:||28 October 1942|
|Acquired:||12 November 1942|
|Commissioned:||23 November 1942|
|Decommissioned:||12 January 1946|
|Struck:||29 January 1947|
|2 battle stars (World War II)|
|Class and type:||Crater-class cargo ship|
|Displacement:||14,550 long tons (14,783 t)|
|Length:||441 ft 6 in (134.57 m)|
|Beam:||56 ft 11 in (17.35 m)|
|Draft:||28 ft 4 in (8.64 m)|
|Speed:||12.5 knots (23.2 km/h; 14.4 mph)|
• 1 × 5"/38 caliber guns|
• 1 × 3"/50 caliber guns
• 8 × 20 mm guns
Arided was laid down under a Maritime Commission contract as liberty ship SS Noah H. Swayne (MCE hull 500) on 20 September 1942 at Richmond, California, by the Permanente Metals Corporation; launched on 28 October 1942; sponsored by Mrs. D. W. Fernhout; renamed Arided and designated AK-73 on 30 October 1942; acquired by the Navy on 12 November 1942; converted for naval service by the Matspn Maintenance Co., San Francisco, California; and placed in commission at San Francisco on 23 November 1942, Lt. Comdr. John B. Elaine in command.
The new cargo ship was assigned to Service Squadron 8, Pacific Fleet, and took on a cargo of ammunition, gasoline, and other war supplies before sailing — via Pago Pago, American Samoa — on 4 December for the New Hebrides. The ship reached Espiritu Santo on Christmas Day and commenced operations with the Third Fleet. From January to July 1943, Arided carried cargoes of ammunition and gasoline from Auckland, New Zealand, and Nouméa, New Caledonia, to various points in the Solomon and Russell Islands.
In August 1943, the cargo vessel sailed to Port Chalmers, New Zealand, for a brief period of drydocking and repair work. She then resumed her routine of supply runs to the Solomon Islands. During 1944 and the first few months of 1945, Arided carried military supplies and equipment to various island bases in the South Pacific. Among her ports of call were Guadalcanal, Florida Island, and Bougainville, Solomon Islands; Milne Bay, New Guinea; Nouméa, New Caledonia; Manus, Admiralty Islands; Russell Islands; Peleliu, Palau Islands; and Funafuti, Ellice Islands.
Arided sailed to Espiritu Santo in April 1945 and took on supplies and equipment earmarked to help troops struggling for control of bitterly contested Okinawa. She arrived off Hagushi beach, Okinawa, on 18 June. While the ship was discharging her cargo, several enemy air raids took place, but she suffered no damage and continued her unloading. On 2 July, the vessel sailed for Guadalcanal and Espiritu Santo to take on more supplies. After making stops en route at Eniwetok and Ulithi, Arided arrived at Buckner Bay, Okinawa, on 18 August — three days after learning that Japan had capitulated.
On 26 October, Arided completed discharging her cargo and got underway for Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. The vessel arrived there on 14 November and remained in Hawaiian waters until she was decommissioned on 12 January 1946. The ship was then towed to San Francisco for final disposition. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 29 September 1947. She was delivered to the Maritime Commission at Suisun Bay, California, on 2 October 1947 for layup in the reserve fleet. The ship was ultimately scrapped.
Arided won two battle stars for her World War II service.
- This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- Photo gallery of Arided at NavSource Naval History