USS Crater (AK-70)
|Name:||USS Crater (AK-70)|
|Ordered:||As liberty ship SS John James Audubon|
|Builder:||Permanente Metals Corporation|
|Laid down:||28 August 1942|
|Launched:||8 October 1942|
|Acquired:||22 October 1942|
|Commissioned:||31 October 1942|
|Decommissioned:||25 June 1946|
|Class and type:||Crater-class cargo ship|
|Length:||441 ft 6 in (134.57 m)|
|Beam:||56 ft 11 in (17.35 m)|
|Draft:||28 ft 4 in (8.64 m)|
|Armament:||1 x 5", 1 x 3"|
The USS Crater (AK-70) was the lead ship of the Crater-class of converted liberty ship cargo ships in the service of the United States Navy in World War II. Named after the southern hemisphere constellation Crater, it was the only ship of the Navy to bear this name.
Crater was laid down 28 August 1942 as liberty ship SS John James Audubon (MCE hull 420) by Permanente Metals Corporation, Yard No. 2, Richmond, California, under a Maritime Commission contract. She was launched 8 October 1942, sponsored by Mrs. M. E. C. Wetzel and transferred to the Navy 22 October 1942. Crater was commissioned 31 October 1942, with Lieutenant Commander R. Dodd, USNR, in command.
Clearing San Francisco 10 November 1942, Crater delivered cargo to Efate and Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides, and Nouméa, New Caledonia before arriving at Wellington, New Zealand, 28 June 1943 to repair and reload.
Crater continued to carry cargo from New Zealand and other supply bases to Guadalcanal and throughout the Solomons until 21 June 1944, when she sailed to operate in the Marshalls and Marianas through the summer. She returned to Guadalcanal, resuming operations in the southwest Pacific until 1 March 1945, when she cleared for overhaul at San Francisco.
She delivered cargo from the west coast at Samar, Philippines, and departed 26 July for Auckland. Crater carried cargo from Auckland and Brisbane, Australia, to Saipan, the Philippines, Manus, Nouméa, and Eniwetok until 5 February 1946, when she sailed for Pearl Harbor, arriving 24 February.
After a voyage to San Pedro, California, Crater was decommissioned at Pearl Harbor 25 June 1946, and was transferred to the Maritime Commission the next day.
- This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- Photo gallery of Crater at NavSource Naval History