USS Elba (AG-132)
|Namesake:||An island off the coast of Georgia|
|Builder:||Wheeler Shipbuilding Corp., Whitestone, Long Island, New York|
|Laid down:||date unknown as USAT FS-267 for the U.S. Army|
|Acquired:||by the U.S. Navy, 14 March 1947, at Apra, Guam|
|Commissioned:||3 July 1947 as USS Elba (AG-132)|
|Decommissioned:||27 July 1951 at Guam|
|Reclassified:||AKL-3, 31 March 1949|
|Fate:||transferred to the U.S. Department of the Interior (date unknown)|
|Type:||Camano-class cargo ship|
|Propulsion:||two 500hp GM Cleveland Division 6-278A 6-cyl V6 diesel engines, twin screws|
|Complement:||42 officers and enlisted|
USS Elba (AG-132/AKL-3) was a Camano-class cargo ship constructed for the U.S. Army as USAT FS-267 shortly before the end of World War II and later acquired by the U.S. Navy in 1947. She was configured as a transport and cargo ship and was assigned to serve the World War II Trust Territories in the Pacific Ocean.
Built on Long Island, New York
Elba (AG-132) was built in 1944 by Wheeler Shipbuilding Corp., Whitestone, Long Island, New York, for the Army as FS-267; acquired by the Navy at Guam 14 March 1947; renamed and commissioned 3 July 1947, Lieutenant (junior grade) G. Rhys in command. She was reclassified AKL-3, 31 March 1949.
Serving the Pacific Trust Territories
From her base at Guam, Elba, during her brief service, steadily carried passengers, mail, cargo and Government officials among the Caroline Islands, the Mariana Islands, the Marshall Islands, and the Palau Islands.
She operated under Commander, Service Division 51. With time out for two brief overhauls at Pearl Harbor, Elba faithfully served the administration of the Pacific Trust Territory in the Marianas, Carolines and Marshalls, even for a time after decommissioning 27 July 1951 at Guam.
Transferred to Department of the Interior
- This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive - FS-267 - AG-132 / AKL-3 Elba