USS Errol (AG-133)

From SpottingWorld, the Hub for the SpottingWorld network...
Career (USA) Union Navy Jack 100x35px
Name: USS Errol
Namesake: An island off the coast of Louisiana
Builder: Wheeler Shipbuilding Corp., Whitestone, Long Island, New York
Laid down: date unknown as USAT FS-274 for the U.S. Army
Acquired: by the U.S. Navy, 3 April 1947, at Apra, Guam
Commissioned: 9 July 1947 as USS Errol (AG-133) at Guam
Decommissioned: 31 July 1951
In service: 31 July 1951 with the U.S. Department of the Interior
Reclassified: AKL-4, 31 March 1949
Struck: unknown date
Fate: transferred to the Department of the Interior, 29 January 1952
General characteristics
Type: Camano-class cargo ship
Displacement: 550 tons
Length: 177'
Beam: 33'
Draft: 10'
Propulsion: two 500hp GM Cleveland Division 6-278A 6-cyl V6 diesel engines, twin screws
Speed: 12 knots
Complement: 42 officers and enlisted
Armament: not known

USS Errol (AG-133/AKL-4) was a Camano-class cargo ship constructed for the U.S. Army as USAT FS-274 shortly before the end of World War II and later acquired by the U.S. Navy in 1947. She was configured as a transport and cargo ship and was assigned to serve the World War II Trust Territories in the Pacific Ocean.

Built on Long Island, New York

Errol (AG-133) was built in 1944 by Wheeler Shipbuilding Corp., Whitestone, Long Island, New York, for the U.S. Army as USAT FS-274; acquired by the Navy 3 April 1947; and commissioned 9 July 1947, Lieutenant R. Q. June in command. She was reclassified AKL-4 on 31 March 1949.

Service in the Trust Territory of the Pacific

Commissioned at Guam, Errol throughout her naval service carried passengers and cargo among American islands and those of the Trust Territory of the Pacific, calling at Guam, Saipan, Tinian, Truk, the Palau Islands, Ulithi, Chichi Jima, Kwajalein, Pagan Island, Agrihan, and smaller islands in the Caroline Islands.

From September to December 1949 she was overhauled at Pearl Harbor, the only interruption to her constant operations in the Pacific.

Transfer to Department of the Interior

She was decommissioned 31 July 1951, and lent to the U.S. Department of the Interior for similar duty the same day. On 29 January 1952 her transfer to the Department of the Interior was made permanent.

Her subsequent fate is not known.