USS Euryale (AS-22)

From SpottingWorld, the Hub for the SpottingWorld network...
USS Euryale (AS-22) At Sasebo, Japan, in November 1945. She has three large Japanese submarines alongside. They are (from inboard to outboard): I-401, I-14 and I-400.
Career (USA) 100x35px
Name: USS Euryale (AS-22)
Namesake: Euryale
Ordered: As Hawaiian Merchant
Builder: Federal Shipbuilding and Drydock Company
Launched: 1941
Acquired: 15 April 1943
Commissioned: 2 December 1943
Decommissioned: 7 October 1946
General characteristics
Class and type: Euryale-class submarine tender
Displacement: 7,600 tons
Length: 492 ft 6 in (150.11 m)
Beam: 69 ft 6 in (21.18 m)
Draft: 21 ft (6.4 m)
Speed: 17 knots
Complement: 1,403
Armament: 1 x 5", 4 x 3"

USS Euryale (AS-22) was built in 1941 by the Federal Shipbuilding and Drydock Company in Kearny, New Jersey as the Hawaiian Merchant. She was acquired by the United States Navy on 15 April 1943 and commissioned 2 December 1943, with Captain H. A. Guthrie in command.

Euryale reached Brisbane, Australia, from New York City 5 March 1944, and after loading provisions and supplies, sailed for Milne Bay, New Guinea. There between 14 March and 26 May, Euryale refitted submarines and repaired surface ships. At Manus from 28 May to 11 August, she established a forward base and rest camp for submariners, clearing the island, constructing buildings and at the same time refitting 26 submarines.

File:USS Euryale (AS-22) 2.jpg
USS Euryale (AS-22) Flying her long "homeward bound" pennant, as she arrives off San Francisco, California, circa 22 February 1946.

The submarine tender returned to Brisbane on 16 August 1944 to load passengers, torpedoes, ammunition, and general cargo, and with this load arrived at Fremantle on 28 August. She tended submarines there until 11 April 1945, then at Pearl Harbor until 16 August. On 28 August, Euryale arrived at Guam to develop a submarine base and rest camp, and on 16 September sailed for Okinawa and Sasebo. Until 12 January 1946, Euryale worked with Japanese submarines, maintaining them and preparing them for disposal. She crossed the Pacific to Pearl Harbor with a salvage ship and two Japanese submarines, one of which she towed for the last leg of the passage, then continued on alone to San Francisco, where she arrived 22 February. She was decommissioned and placed in reserve on 7 October 1946.