USS Felicia (PYc-35)

From SpottingWorld, the Hub for the SpottingWorld network...
Career (USA) 100x35px
Name: USS Felicia (PYc-35)
Owner: Senator Jesse H. Metcalf of Rhode Island
Builder: Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine
Laid down: 30 March 1931
Launched: 1 August 1931
Christened: as the yacht Felicia
Completed: 14 September 1931
Acquired: 8 April 1942
Commissioned: 27 June 1942, as USS Felicia (PYc-35)
Decommissioned: 10 August 1945
Struck: circa 10 August 1945
Homeport: Newport, Rhode Island
Boston, Massachusetts
Fate: Transferred to the Maritime Commission, 23 October 1945
General characteristics
Type: Yacht
Displacement: 447 long tons (454 t) fully loaded
Length: 147 ft 9 in (45.03 m)
Beam: 24 ft 10 in (7.57 m)
Draft: 9 ft 4 in (2.84 m)
Propulsion: 2 × 660 shp (492 kW) Cooper Bessemer FP-8 diesel engines, two shafts
Speed: 12 knots (22 km/h; 14 mph)
Complement: 42 officers and enlisted
Armament: 1 × 20 mm AA gun

USS Felicia (PYc-35) was a yacht acquired by the United States Navy during World War II. Felicia was outfitted as a patrol craft by the Navy, and was assigned to patrol the New England waters. She was based out of Newport, Rhode Island until 16 December 1943 when she was based out of Boston, Massachusetts, as a training ship for naval cadets at Harvard University. Post-war she was decommissioned and transferred to the Maritime Commission.

Built by Bath Iron Works in Maine

The second ship to be so named by the U.S. Navy, Felicia (PYC-35) was built in 1931 by Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine; purchased by the Navy on 8 April 1942; and commissioned on 27 June 1942, Lieutenant F, G. Crane, USNR, in command.

World War II service

Patrol Craft operations

Felicia was assigned to the 2nd Naval District and was based at Newport, Rhode Island, out of which she sailed on anti-submarine patrols, until 16 December 1943.

Assigned as a training ship

From that time, she operated locally out of Boston, Massachusetts, harbor as a school ship, training student naval officers enrolled at Harvard University.

Post-war decommissioning and disposal

She was decommissioned on 10 August 1945, and transferred to the Maritime Commission on 23 October 1945.

See also