USS George F. Elliott (AP-105)
|USS George F. Elliott (AP-105)|
USS George F. Elliott (AP-105) off San Francisco, 7 February 1944.
|Name:||USS George F. Elliott (AP-105)|
|Namesake:||USMC Commandant George F. Elliott (1846-1931)|
|Acquired:||25 August 1943|
|Commissioned:||23 September 1943|
|Decommissioned:||10 June 1946|
|Renamed:||USS George F. Elliott (1943), African Endeavor (1948)|
|Identification:||MC hull type C3-P, MC hull no. 48|
|Draft:||25 ft 8 in|
|Propulsion:||Geared turbine drive, 2 x Babcock & Wilcox header-type boilers, single screw, designed shaft horsepower 8,500|
1 x 5"/38 cal. dual purpose gun|
4 x 3"/50 caliber dp guns
16 x 20 mm AA guns
10 x .50-cal MG
USS George F. Elliott (AP-105) was a troop transport that served with the United States Navy during World War II. She was the second US Navy ship to bear the name (the first being the transport AP-13, which was lost to enemy action in August 1942).
AP-105, a Maritime Commission (CP-3) type was built as SS Delbrasil in 1939 by Bethlehem Steel at Sparrows Point, Maryland, and delivered to the Mississippi Shipping Company on 31 May 1940. On 25 August 1943 she was acquired by the Navy, renamed USS George F. Elliott (AP-105), and commissioned 23 September 1943, Commander A. J. Couble in command.
World War II
From 3 October 1943 to 31 January 1944 two troop-carrying voyages out of San Diego brought fighting men to Nouméa, Guadalcanal, and Espiritu Santo. Subsequently, George F. Elliott left San Francisco 18 February to embark cargo and over 1,700 sailors and marines at Port Hueneme. She steamed thence to Havannah Harbor, New Hebrides, arriving 9 March, and for the next 2 months made troop shuttle voyages between Espiritu Santo, Guadalcanal, the Russell Islands, Manus, and New Guinea before putting in at Pearl Harbor 7 May 1944.
Invasion of Saipan
On 29 May George F. Elliott departed with attack Group 1 of Task Force 52 for the invasion of the strategic island of Saipan and closed the island's west coast 15 June for D-day. She was ordered to join a diversionary assault force staging a demonstration landing to the northwest to divert the enemy from the real landing beaches. Despite air attack she sent troops away and unloaded cargo until getting underway 22 June for Makin Atoll, Tarawa, Apamama, Pearl Harbor, and finally San Diego, reaching there 17 July.
Invasion of Leyte
Following a troop transport voyage to Pearl Harbor and return, George F. Elliott made another trip to Pearl Harbor, she sailed from there 15 September for Eniwetok, Manus, and Leyte, reaching the latter port in time for D-day, 20 October 1944. She debarked troops and cargo though harassed by air attacks, getting underway 24 October with mission accomplished and closing Hollandia the 29th.
Invasion of Luzon
George F. Elliott brought troops and supplies from Wake Island, New Guinea; and Hollandia in early November, and after embarking more cargo and passengers at Cape Gloucester, New Britain, reached Manus 21 December. She sailed for Lingayen Gulf 31 December and, after witnessing a kamikaze crash on the carrier USS Kitkun Bay (CVE-71) and numerous attacks on other ships off Luzon, reached her destination 9 January 1945 as part of the D-day invasion of Lingayen Gulf.
Discharging men and equipment, the ship sailed at once for Leyte, Manus, and Wake Island, loaded the 33rd Infantry Division at the latter port, and debarked it at Lingayen Gulf 10 February. Subsequently steaming to Ulithi she embarked Marine reinforcements destined for Iwo Jima and closed that island 18 March. Loading veterans, she sailed for Pearl Harbor and San Francisco, steaming under the Golden Gate 22 April 1945 to commence repairs.
As part of the Magic-Carpet fleet, George F. Elliott subsequently made three more round trips from San Francisco, respectively to Pearl Harbor, Yokosuka, and Korea, from 27 August 1945 to 18 January 1946, and her return to Seattle. Underway for Guam 14 February, she touched there 1 March and soon sailed for Norfolk, Virginia where she put in 3 April 1946 via the Panama Canal.
George F. Elliott was awarded four battle stars for her World War II service.