USS Nantahala (ID-3519)
|Builder:||Western Pipe and Steel Company|
|Launched:||4 July 1918|
|Commissioned:||16 November 1918|
|Decommissioned:||17 April 1919|
|Fate:||Returned to the US Shipping Board, 30 April 1919|
|Displacement:||12,250 long tons (12,447 t)|
|Length:||427 ft (130 m)|
|Beam:||54 ft (16 m)|
|Draft:||24 ft 2 in (7.37 m)|
|Speed:||11 knots (20 km/h; 13 mph)|
|Complement:||72 officers and enlisted|
The first USS Nantahala, a single screw cargo ship, was launched under United States Shipping Board contract by Western Pipe and Steel Company, San Francisco, California on 4 July 1918; taken over by the Navy on 16 November 1918; and commissioned the same day, Lt. Comdr. Berthel Carlsen, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service, Nantahala loaded a cargo of flour and sailed on 5 December for the East Coast where she arrived at New York on 31 December. Assigned to duty as a food relief ship, she sailed for the Mediterranean on 9 January 1919 and reached Fiume, in mid-February with her lifesaving cargo of flour and foodstuffs. She operated in the Adriatic and the Central Mediterranean during the next month, thence sailed via Gibraltar for the United States arriving at New York on 10 April. Nantahala decommissioned at New York on 17 April 1919 and was returned to the USSB on the 30th.
This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- Photo gallery at navsource.org
- Photo gallery at Naval Historical Center