USS Severn (1898)
United States Naval Academy Midshipmen furl sails aboard the bark known as USS Chesapeake from 1900 to 1905 and as USS Severn from 1905 to 1916 during the ship's period as Naval Academy training ship from 1900 to 1910
|Career (United States)||100x35px|
|Name:||USS Chesapeake and USS Severn|
The Chesapeake Bay in Maryland and Virginia|
The Severn River in Maryland
|Builder:||Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine|
|Laid down:||2 August 1898|
|Launched:||30 June 1899|
|Sponsored by:||Miss Elise Bradford|
|Commissioned:||12 April 1900|
|Decommissioned:||3 October 1916 (final time)|
|Renamed:||USS Severn 15 June 1905|
|Reclassified:||Submarine tender 1910|
|Fate:||Sold 7 December 1916|
Training ship 1900-1910|
Submarine tender 1910-1916
|Length:||224 ft 3 in (68.35 m)|
|Beam:||37 ft (11 m)|
|Draft:||16 ft (4.9 m)|
|Propulsion:||Sails plus auxiliary steam power|
|Sail plan:||Three-masted bark|
As training ship:|
113 crew and 122 midshipmen
6 x 4-inch (102-millimeter) guns|
4 x 6-pounder guns
2 x 1-pounder guns
The third USS Chesapeake and second USS Severn was a three-masted, sheathed, wooden-hulled bark with auxiliary steam power in commission in the United States Navy during most of the period between 1900 and 1916.
Constructioning and commissioning
USS Chesapeake was laid down on 2 August 1898 by Bath Iron Works at Bath, Maine. She was launched on 30 June 1899, sponsored by Miss Elise Bradford, and commissioned on 12 April 1900 with Lieutenant Commander C. E. Colahan in command.
Station and training ship duties at Annapolis 1900-1910
Chesapeake was towed to Annapolis, Maryland, where she assumed duties as station ship and as training ship for midshipmen at the United States Naval Academy. Renamed USS Severn on 15 June 1905, she decommissioned twice for repair and overhaul, provided facilities for seamanship drills at the Naval Academy and conducted summer cruises off southern New England through 1909.
Submarine tender service 1910-1916
On 15 February 1910, Severn was ordered refitted as a submarine tender. On completion of that work in mid-May 1910, she reported for duty with the 3rd Submarine Division. Until 1913, she performed submarine tender duties off New England during the summer and in the Chesapeake Bay during the winter, her movements being accomplished under tow. She was decommissioned a third time for overhaul after summer maneuvers in 1913.
Severn was recommissioned on 15 November 1913 and transferred to the Panama Canal Zone. She arrived at Coco Solo, Panama, on 12 December 1913 and served as tender to the 1st Submarine Division until July 1916.