Zaandam in Glacier Bay, Alaska
|Owner:||Nederlandsch-Amerikaansche Stoomvaart Maatschappij (NASM)|
|Operator:||Holland America Line|
|Port of registry:||Template:NLD|
Fincantieri Cantieri Navali Italiana SpA|
May 2000 |
by Mary-Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen
Call sign PDAN|
IMO number: 9156527
MMSI no: 246442000
|Class and type:||Rotterdam class (R class) cruise ship|
|Length:||237 metres (777.56 ft)|
|Beam:||32.3 metres (105.97 ft)|
|Speed:||23-knot (43 km/h; 26 mph)|
MS Zaandam is a cruise ship owned and operated by Holland America Line, named for the city of Zaandam, Netherlands near Amsterdam. It was built by Italy’s Fincantieri yard in Venice and was delivered in 2000. She is part of the 'R-Class' and a sister ship to MS Volendam, MS Rotterdam, and MS Amsterdam.
MS Zaandam has a musical theme and is decorated with artifacts and memorabilia from different musical genres. Items such as a Baroque-style Dutch pipe organ and guitars signed by the Rolling Stones, Carlos Santana and Queen can be seen.
Several earlier vessels also carried the name Zaandam: A single-funnel steam ship known as SS Zaandam (1882–1897) and MS Zaandam (1938–1942). The latter was torpedoed by German submarine U-174 and sank.
On August 3, 2009, Amber Malkuch was reported to be missing from MS Zaandam when she departed from Seattle. Later that day, U.S. Coast Guard found her body. It is believed that she fell overboard in suicide.
- United States Coast Guard (USCG). "Zaandam". Port State Information Exchange. U.S. Department of Homeland Security. http://psix.uscg.mil/PSIX/PSIXDetails.aspx?VesselID=4746. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- "Zaandam-Fast Facts". Holland America. Archived from the original on 2009-08-11. http://www.webcitation.org/5ixQXnazc. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- "Zaandam". van der Leek, 2005. http://www.vdleek.nl/Hal/Vloot/Zaandam.html. Retrieved 2009-12-03.
- "Zaandam (IMO: 9156527)". vesseltracker.com. http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Ships/Zaandam-9156527.html. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- "Onboard Our Ships > Our Ships > ms Zaandam". Holland America Line. 2010. http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/Zaandam;jsessionid=SFqTWy9nr0psocX24ymczw. Retrieved 29 June 2010.
- "Zaandam Ship Details". Cruiseabout. Archived from the original on 2009-08-11. http://www.webcitation.org/5ixPxVgIW. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- "Cruise Passenger Goes Overboard in Apparent Suicide". Fox News. 2009-08-04. Archived from the original on 2009-08-12. http://www.webcitation.org/5ixditRlp. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
| MS Zaandam]]
- Zaandam(c)Ted Rufus Ross.JPG
The MS Zaandam docked in San Diego, California
Zaandam approaching Ketchikan, Alaska in June 2004