SS Empire Bruce
|Owner:||Ministry of War Transport|
Larrinaga Steamship Co Ltd (1941-42)|
Christian Salvesen & Co Ltd (1942-43)
|Port of registry:||Sunderland|
|Builder:||Sir J Laing & Sons Ltd, Sunderland|
|Launched:||11 June 1941|
|Out of service:||18 April 1943|
UK Official Number 168918|
Code Letters BCPJ (1941-48)
|Fate:||Torpedoed and sunk|
|Length:||423 feet 8 inches (129.13 m)|
|Beam:||59 feet 9 inches (18.21 m)|
|Depth:||35 feet (10.67 m)|
|Propulsion:||1 x triple expansion steam engine|
|Speed:||10.5 knots (19.4 km/h)|
|Crew:||42, plus 7 DEMS gunners.|
The ship was 423 feet 8 inches (129.13 m) long, with a beam of 59 feet 9 inches (18.21 m) and a depth of 35 feet (10.67 m). She was propelled by a triple expansion steam engine which had cylinders of 24 inches (61 cm), 39 inches (99 cm) and 68 inches (170 cm) bore by 48 inches (120 cm) stroke. The engine was built by the Central Marine Engine Works, West Hartlepool. It could propel her at 10.5 knots (19.4 km/h). She had a GRT of 7,349 with a NRT of 4,497.
Empire Bruce's port of registry was Sunderland. She was initially operated under the management of the Larrinaga Steamship Co Ltd. Management was then transferred toChristian Salvesen & Co Ltd, Leith.
Empire Bruce was a member of a number of convoys during the Second World War.
- ON 14
At 12:39 on 18 April 1943, Empire Bruce was struck in the stern by a torpedo fired from Template:GS, under the command of Oberleutnant zur See Horst von Schroeter. The ship was carrying a cargo of 9,141 tons of linseed from Buenos Aires, Argentina to the United Kingdom via Freetown, Sierra Leone. She capsized and sank after further torpedoes were fired at 13:51 and 14:19. The entire crew of 42, and seven DEMS gunners were rescued by minesweeper HMS MMS 107. They were landed at Freetown on 19 April. The ship sank 100 nautical miles (190 km) off Freetown (Coordinates: ).
Official Numbers and Code Letters
- Mitchell, W H, and Sawyer, L A (1995). The Empire Ships. London, New York, Hamburg, Hong Kong: Lloyd's of London Press Ltd. ISBN 1-85044-275-4.
- ""1168918"" (subscription required). Miramar Ship Index. R.B. Haworth. http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz. Retrieved 27 December 2009.
- "LLOYD'S REGISTER, NAVIRES A VAPEUR ET A MOTEURS". Plimsoll Ship Data. http://www.plimsollshipdata.org/pdffile.php?name=41b0270.pdf. Retrieved 27 December 2009.
- "LLOYD'S REGISTER, STEAMERS & MOTORSHIPS". Plimsoll Ship Data. http://www.plimsollshipdata.org/pdffile.php?name=43b0297.pdf. Retrieved 27 December 2009.
- "CONVOY ON 14". Warsailors. http://www.warsailors.com/convoys/on14.html. Retrieved 27 December 2009.
- "Empire Bruce". Uboat. http://uboat.net/allies/merchants/2871.html. Retrieved 27 December 2009.