SS Empire Burton
|Owner:||Ministry of War Transport|
|Operator:||Common Bros Ltd|
|Port of registry:||Sunderland|
|Builder:||Short Brothers Ltd, Pallion|
|Launched:||29 May 1941|
|Out of service:||20 September 1941|
UK Official Number 168915 |
Code Letters BCMR
|Fate:||Torpedoed and sunk by U-74|
6,966 GRT |
|Length:||427 feet 5 inches (130.28 m)|
|Beam:||57 feet (17.37 m)|
|Depth:||34 feet 3 inches (10.44 m)|
|Propulsion:||1 x triple expansion steam engine|
|Crew:||49, plus 5 DEMS gunners and 6 RAF personnel|
The ship was 427 feet 5 inches (130.28 m) long, with a beam of 57 feet (17.37 m) and a depth of 34 feet 3 inches (10.44 m). She was propelled by a triple expansion steam engine which had cylinders of 24 inches (61 cm), 39 inches (99 cm), and 68 inches (170 cm) bore by 48 inches (120 cm) stroke. The engine was built by North East Marine Engine Worls, Newcastle upon Tyne.
Empire Burton had a short career. She was completed in August 1941 and placed under the management of Common Brothers Ltd, Newcastle upon Tyne. Her port of registry was Sunderland. Empire Burton was a member of two convoys.
- ON 9
- SC 44
Convoy SC 44 departed from Halifax, calling at Sydney from where the convoy departed on 11 September bound for Liverpool. She was carrying a cargo of 9,106 long tons (9,252 t) of wheat. At 01:13 (German time) on 20 September 1941, Template:GS fired four torpedoes, one of which hit Empire Burton and sank her with the loss of two of the 60 crew. The ship was east of Cape Farewell at the time (Coordinates: ). The 58 survivors were rescued by HMS Honeysuckle and landed at Reyjkavik, Iceland.
Official Numbers and Code Letters
- Mitchell, W H, and Sawyer, L A (1995). The Empire Ships. London, New York, Hamburg, Hong Kong: Lloyd's of London Press Ltd. ISBN 1-85044-275-4.
- ""1168915"" (subscription required). Miramar Ship Index. R.B. Haworth. http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz. Retrieved 31 December 2009.
- "LLOYD'S REGISTER, NAVIRES A VAPEUR ET A MOTEURS". Plimsoll Ship Data. http://www.plimsollshipdata.org/pdffile.php?name=33b0286.pdf. Retrieved 30 December 2009.
- "Empire Burton". Uboat. http://uboat.net/allies/merchants/1117.html. Retrieved 31 December 2009.
- "Convoy ON 9". Warsailors. http://www.warsailors.com/convoys/on9.html. Retrieved 31 December 2009.