USS Miantonomoh (BM-5)
|Ordered:||23 June 1874|
|Launched:||5 December 1876|
|Commissioned:||6 October 1882|
|Decommissioned:||21 December 1907|
|Struck:||31 December 1915|
|Fate:||Sold for scrap, 26 January 1922|
|Type:||Amphitrite class monitor|
|Displacement:||3,990 long tons (4,054 t)|
|Length:||263 ft 1 in (80.19 m)|
|Beam:||55 ft 4 in (16.87 m)|
|Draft:||14 ft 6 in (4.42 m)|
|Propulsion:||Steam engine, 2 screws|
|Speed:||10.6 knots (19.6 km/h; 12.2 mph)|
|Complement:||150 officers and enlisted|
• 4 × 10 in (250 mm) breechloader rifles|
• 2 × 4 in (100 mm) rifles
• 2 × 6-pounder guns
The second USS Miantonomoh, an iron‑hulled, twin‑screw, double‑turreted monitor of the Amphitrite class, was laid down by John Roach & Son of Chester, Pennsylvania in 1874; launched 5 December 1876; and commissioned in an uncompleted condition on 6 October 1882, Commander Francis J. Higginson in command.
Miatonomoh steamed from Philadelphia to Washington and thence to New York where she decommissioned 13 March 1883. Completed at New York Navy Yard, Brooklyn, between 1883 and 1891, the "New Navy" monitor commissioned 27 October 1891, Captain Montgomery Sicard in command.
During the next year Miantonomoh cruised the east coast between New York and Charleston. Late in 1892 she was laid up at New York, but between 1892 and 1895 she supported fleet target practice and served the naval militias of Massachusetts and Rhode Island. She decommissioned at Philadelphia on 20 November 1895.
Spanish-American War, 1898–1899
After the sinking of armored cruiser Maine in Havana harbor 15 February 1898, Miantonomoh recommissioned 10 March 1898, Captain Mortimer L. Johnson in command. On 21 April, the United States and Spain severed diplomatic ties, leading to the Spanish-American War. The following day, President William McKinley ordered Rear Admiral William T. Sampson to blockade ports on the northern coast of Cuba.
After fitting out at Charleston, S.C., Miantonomoh joined the blockading force 5 May to serve until the blockade was lifted 14 August, the day after hostilities ceased. Miantonomoh returned to Charleston 29 August and to Philadelphia 1 October. She decommissioned at League Island 8 March 1899.
Miantonontoh remained in reserve until 1906 when she was loaned to the Maryland Naval Militia. She recommissioned at Philadelphia 9 April 1907, Chief Boatswain Eugene M. Isaacs in command. For the next several months she operated out of Norfolk and participated in the Jamestown Exposition commemorating the tercentenary of the first permanent English settlement in America. Returning to League Island 4 December, she decommissioned 21 December.
Laid up at Philadelphia until 17 December 1915, Miantonomoh was then authorized for use as a target by the 5th Naval District. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 31 December 1915, and her hulk was one of several sold to J. G. Hitner and W. F. Cutler of Philadelphia on 26 January 1922.
- This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.