|Costa Pacifica sailing|
Costa Pacifica at sea
|Port of registry:||Genoa, 22x20px Italy|
|Ordered:||14 December 2005|
|Builder:||Fincantieri, Sestri Ponente, Italy|
|Cost:||EUR 500 Million|
|Launched:||30 June 2008|
|Christened:||5 June 2009|
|Acquired:||29 May 2009|
|In service:||6 June 2009|
|Identification:||IMO number: 9378498|
|Class and type:||Concordia-class cruise ship|
|Tonnage:||gross tonnage (GT) of 114,500 tons|
|Length:||950 feet (289.56 m)|
|Beam:||118 feet (35.97 m)|
14 passenger decks|
17 total decks
|Installed power:||Diesel-electric at 12,600 kW|
cruising speed: 21.5 knots (40 km/h; 25 mph)|
maximum speed: 23 knots (43 km/h; 26 mph)
Costa Pacifica is a Concordia-class cruise ship for Costa Cruises. She was handed over to Costa Cruises in 29 May 2009. Her sister ships, the Costa Concordia and Costa Serena, were launched in 2006 and in 2007, and another two sister ships, Costa Favolosa and Costa Fascinosa will be launched in 2011 and 2012 respectively. Onboard facilities included are the Samsara Spa and the PlayStation World, an area boosting PS3 consoles, and the first Recording studio at sea. The ship was inaugurated in a dual christening ceremony, along with Costa Luminosa on June 5, 2009.
Concept and Construction
Costa Pacifica is the third ship of the Concordia-class, preceded by sisters, Costa Concordia and Costa Serena and will be followed by Costa Favolosa and Costa Fascinosa on 2011 and 2012, all part of the expansion program of Costa which entails an investment of 2.4 billion Euros, and is currently the largest fleet expansion program in the world.
Costa Pacifica was ordered in 14 December 2005, by Carnival Corporation, Costa Cruises' parent. The order was four ships, which includes; Carnival Dream, for Carnival Cruise Lines; Nieuw Amsterdam for Holland America Line; and Ruby Princess for Princess Cruises, at a total cost of USD 3 Billion.
The bow section of Costa Pacifica was built in Fincantieri's Palermo shipyard and was launched in 24 July 2007. The section was then towed to Fincantieri's Sestri Ponente in August 2007 for further work, which also marked the announcement of the ship's name. She was launched at Fincantieri's Sestri Ponente shipyard in 30 June 2008. She returned to Sestri Ponente from her sea trials on 30 March 2009, for the fitting-out process. Almost 3,000 workers helped in the construction of Costa Pacifica.
She was later christened at Genoa, Italy in June 5, 2009, in a dual christening ceremony, together with Costa Luminosa. The dual christening ceremony was the world's first, who set a Guinness World Record, at the new category, "Most ships inaugurated in one day by one company".
Costa Pacifica have 1,504 staterooms; 521 with private balconies and 91 spa staterooms; 58 suites with private balconies and 12 spa suites. There are 5 onboard restaurants, which include the reservations-only Club Blue Moon and Samsara Restaurant. There are 13 bars, including a Cognac & Cigar Bar and a Coffee and Chocolate Bar. Four swimming pools, 2 with retractable covers, 1 with Toboga, and 4 Jacuzzi's. The onboard Samsara spa, a two-level, 6,000-m2 (64,583.46-ft2) wellness facility with gym, a Thalassotherapy pool, treatment rooms, sauna, Turkish bath and a solarium. A poolside screen is located in the Pool deck. Costa Pacifica also have a three-level Theater. There is also the Grand Prix simulator, a Recording studio and a PlayStation World area, where PS3 consoles are available. Costa Pacifica is the first cruise ship to have an onboard Recording studio, fitted with most sophisticated equipments.
During the 2009-2010 winter season, Costa Pacifica departs from Rome and Savona, offering 10 and 11-day cruises in Egypt, Israel and Turkey. In Summer 2010, she will offer 7-day cruises in the Western Mediterranean, with calls at Rome, Savona, Barcelona, Palma, Tunis, Malta and Catania.
- TODAY MARKS THE DELIVERY COSTA PACIFICA, THE SHIP OF MUSIC Press Release. Fincantieri. 29 May 2009. Retrieved 8 May 2010
- Costa's new flagship fitted with powerful engines Cruise Industry News. 14 December 2007. Retrieved 8 May 2010
- Costa Pacifica: The "Greatest Hits" of the Costa fleet Cruise Industry News. 20 February 2008. Retrieved 8 May 2010
- FINCANTIERI: AGREEMENT WITH CARNIVAL FOR SIX –SHIP DEAL WORTH OVER 3 BILLION DOLLARS. Press Release. Fincantieri. 14 December 2005. Retrieved 11 May 2010
- "First section of the new "Costa Pacifica" launched in Palermo". Cruise Industry News. 24 July 2007. http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/677-72407-first-section-of-the-new-qcosta-pacificaq-launched-in-palermo.html. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- Costa & Fincantieri: 2 ships launched simultaneously Cruise Industry News. 30 June 2008. Retrieved 8 May 2010
- Costa Luminosa and Pacifica getting ready for their record-breaking debut Cruise Industry News. 30 March 2009. Retrieved 8 May 2010
- Costa sails into Guinness World Records with world's-first joint ship christening Cruise Industry News. 6 June 2009. Retrieved 8 May 2010
- Costa Pacifica: Relax in Cruise Costa Cruises. Retrieved 8 May 2010
- Costa Pacifica delivered Cruise Industry News. 29 May 2009. Retrieved 8 May 2010