USS Clermont (APA-143)
|Ordered:||as type VC2-S-AP5|
|Laid down:||date unknown|
|Launched:||25 November 1944|
|Acquired:||27 January 1945|
|Commissioned:||28 January 1945|
|Decommissioned:||1 March 1946|
|Displacement:||12,450 tons (full load)|
|Length:||455 ft 0 in (138.68 m)|
|Beam:||62 ft 0 in (18.90 m)|
|Draught:||24 ft 0 in (7.32 m)|
one 5” gun mount, |
twelve 40mm mounts,
ten 20mm mounts
Clermont (APA-143) was launched 25 November 1944 by California Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, California, under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. F. Wells; acquired by the Navy 27 January 1945; converted at Kaiser Co., Inc., Vancouver, Washington; and commissioned 28 January 1945, Captain F. E. Shoup in command.
World War II service
Clermont sailed from Port Chicago, California, 10 April 1945 for Pearl Harbor, arriving 16 April. Here she conducted training, then embarked the 126th Construction Battalion. She cleared Pearl Harbor 20 May, for Eniwetok, Ulithi, and Okinawa, arriving 24 June to disembark her troops and cargo. She returned to San Francisco 21 July to embark passengers for Pearl Harbor, arriving there 9 August. After taking Marine units and the 116th Naval Construction Battalion on board, she cleared 1 September for Saipan and Sasebo, where she put her passengers ashore for the occupation of Sasebo Naval Base. After a voyage to the Philippines to carry additional occupation troops to Japan, she carried units of the 5th Marines from Sasebo to Peleliu and sailed on 3 November with homeward bound servicemen to San Diego, arriving 23 November.
Final voyage and decommissioning
Clermont made a second "Operation Magic Carpet" voyage between 8 December 1945 and 11 January 1946. Eleven days later she sailed for Norfolk, Virginia, arriving 4 February. Clermont was decommissioned 1 March 1946, and returned to the Maritime Commission 3 March 1946. Her ultimate fate is unknown.