USS Clinton (APA-144)
|Ordered:||as type VC2-S-AP5|
|Laid down:||date unknown|
|Launched:||29 November 1944|
|Acquired:||1 February 1945|
|Commissioned:||1 February 1945|
|Decommissioned:||2 May 1946|
|Struck:||1 October 1958|
sank for target practice, |
1 August 1984
|Displacement:||12,450 tons (full load)|
|Length:||455 ft 0 in (138.68 m)|
|Beam:||62 ft 0 in (18.90 m)|
|Draught:||24 ft 0 in (7.32 m)|
one 5” gun mount, |
twelve 40mm mounts,
ten 20mm mounts
The second ship to be named Clinton by the Navy, APA-144 was launched 29 November 1944 by California Shipbuilding Co., Wilmington, California, under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. L. N. Green; transferred to the Navy 1 February 1945; converted at U.S. Naval Station, Astoria, Oregon; and commissioned 1 February 1945, Commander J. A. Ivaldi, USNR, in command.
World War II service
Clinton cleared San Francisco, California, 17 April 1945 and sailed to land Marine replacement troops and equipment on Okinawa between 27 and 31 May. She transferred battle casualties to Guam where she embarked ground forces of the 7th Bomber Command for transportation to Okinawa, arriving 2 July. When she sailed 6 days later she was carrying over 1,000 Okinawan and Korean prisoners of war for internment in the Hawaiian Islands. Clinton cleared Honolulu 5 August carrying replacement troops to Saipan.
She sailed on to Manila to embark Army occupation troops whom she landed at Tsingtao, China, 11 October 1945. Arriving at Haiphong, French Indo-China, 26 October, she loaded Chinese troops and equipment and carried them to Chinwangtao and Taku for the reoccupation of northern China. Assigned to "Operation Magic Carpet" duty, Clinton embarked homeward-bound servicemen at Manila and sailed 28 November for San Pedro, California, arriving 18 December. She continued to the U.S. East Coast, arriving at Norfolk, Virginia, 2 February 1946.
Clinton was decommissioned 2 May 1946 and transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal 1 October 1958.