MS Brilliance of the Seas
Brilliance of the Seas docked at Naples
|Name:||Brilliance of the Seas|
|Owner:||Royal Caribbean International|
|Operator:||RCL UK Ltd.|
|Port of registry:||Nassau, Bahamas|
|Builder:||Meyer Werft, (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Cost:||US $350 million|
|Christened:||July 13, 2002 by Marilyn Ofer in Harwich, England|
|Completed:||July 15, 2002|
|Identification:|| IMO number: 9195200|
Call Sign C6SJ5
|Status:||In Active Service as of 2010|
|Notes:||CDC sanitation score: 99% (7/6/2008)|
|Class and type:||Radiance-class cruise ship|
|Tonnage:||gross tonnage (GT) of 90,090 tons|
|Length:||962 ft (293 m)|
|Beam:||105.6 ft (32.2 m)|
|Draft:||27.8 ft (8.5 m)|
|Installed power:||Gas turbine (20.5MW each), 3 bow thrusters|
|Propulsion:||2 azimuthing pods (19.5MW each)|
|Speed:||25-knot (46 km/h; 29 mph)|
MS Brilliance of the Seas is a cruise ship belonging to the Royal Caribbean's Radiance class. It cruises the Mediterranean from April to January, and is based in Dubai sailing to ports around the Middle East and India from January to April, doing two repositioning cruises each year which take it through the Suez Canal. Brilliance of the Seas is operated by RCL UK Ltd., which is a subsidiary of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.
- Rock-climbing wall
- Portofino Italian Restaurant
- Chops Grille
- Seaview Café
- Latté-tudes, a specialty coffee house featuring Seattle's Best Coffee
- Themed bars and lounges
- Casino Royale
- Indian Raj-themed Solarium
- Colony Club, a unique British colonial-style lounge with self-leveling pool tables
- Indoor/outdoor country club with golf simulator
- Adventure Ocean youth facilities
- Day Spa and Fitness Center
- Sports court with basketball/volleyball court
- Panamax Ship
George Allen Smith controversy
In July 2005, Royal Caribbean was plagued by a controversy that involved the disappearance of one of their passengers, George Allen Smith. Although the cruise line claims that his death was the result of an accident, evidence suggests that foul play may have been involved. Blood was found in his cabin and on the side of the ship where he allegedly fell overboard and drowned. The FBI announced that they were investigating the disappearance on July 29, 2005. Geraldo Rivera aired a news story interviewing Josh Askin, one of the last people seen with George Allen Smith, along with two Russian boys, Greg Rozenberg and Zach Rozenberg. On 29 June 2006, it was announced that Royal Caribbean International had agreed to pay compensation to Smith's estate, later revealed to be more than $1 million.
- Ward, Douglas (2005). Berlitz Complete Guide to Cruising & Cruise Ships. Singapore: Berlitz. ISBN 981-246-510-3.
- "Marilyn Ofer". ZoomInfo. http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Ofer_Marilyn_210820713.aspx. Retrieved 2008-07-22.
- "Ship Details for Brilliance of the Seas at Yahoo". Yahoo! Travel. http://cruises.travel.yahoo.net/c/shipdetail.asp?lineid=44&vessel=399. Retrieved 2008-07-22.
- United States Coast Guard (USCG). "Brilliance of the Seas". Port State Information Exchange. U.S. Department of Homeland Security. http://psix.uscg.mil/PSIX/PSIXDetails.aspx?VesselID=576570.
- "Cruise Ships Inspection Score for MS Brilliance of the Seas". Vessel Sanitation Program. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 7/6/2008. http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/Forms/InspectionScoresAll.aspx?Vessel=7377.
- "Brilliance of the Seas Fast Facts sheet" (PDF). Royal Caribbean International. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/fastfact_br.pdf. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- "Press Release: Royal Caribbean International Responds To Allegations Involving George Smith's Disappearance With Factual Chronology". Royal Caribbean International. 2006-01-05. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/ourCompany/pressCenter/pressReleases/info.do;jsessionid=00005GUDOofYbxJCe1iwbwC5BiV:12hdhu87a?prDate=01-05-2006&prCode=A. Retrieved 2008-05-10.
- "Press Release: Top 10 Myths Regarding Royal Caribbean's Handling Of The Disappearance Of George Smith". Royal Caribbean International. 2006-01-27. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/ourCompany/pressCenter/pressReleases/info.do;jsessionid=00005GUDOofYbxJCe1iwbwC5BiV:12hdhu87a?prDate=01-27-2006&prCode=A. Retrieved 2008-05-10.
- "Statement of U.S. Attorney Kevin J. O’Connor and FBI Special Agent-In-Charge Michael J. Wolf on the George A. Smith IV Investigation". US Attorney statement. US Department of Justice. 2005-07-29. http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/ct/Documents/Smith%20statement%2007292005.pdf. Retrieved 2008-05-10.
- "Interviews with Josh Askin, Greg Rozenberg and Zach Rozenberg". Geraldo. 2006-05-23. [dead link]
- "Press Release: Royal Caribbean And Jennifer Hagel Smith Reach Settlement". Royal Caribbean International. 2006-06-29. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/ourCompany/pressCenter/pressReleases/info.do;jsessionid=00005GUDOofYbxJCe1iwbwC5BiV:12hdhu87a?prDate=06-29-2006&prCode=A. Retrieved 2008-05-10.
- "Judge uphold widow's settlement". AP/AOL. 2008-05-02. http://news.aol.com/story/_a/judge-uphold-widows-settlement/n20080502173309990044. Retrieved 2008-05-10.