USNS Private Frank J. Petrarca (T-AK-250)
|Name:||Private Frank J. Petrarca|
|Namesake:||An Army name retained: Frank J. Petrarca, awarded the Medal of Honor|
|Ordered:||as type (C1-M-AV1) hull, MC hull 2329|
|Builder:||Consolidated Steel Corporation, Long Beach, California|
|Laid down:||18 April 1945 as MS Long Splice|
|Launched:||8 July 1945/7 August 1945|
|Sponsored by:||Mrs. Eloi J. Amar|
|Commissioned:||date unknown as USAT Private Frank J. Petrarca|
|Decommissioned:||1 March 1950|
|In service:||1 March 1950 as USNS Private Frank J. Petrarca (T-AK-250)|
|Out of service:||9 April 1959|
|Struck:||15 October 1973|
|National Defense Service Medal|
|Fate:||sold, 1 December 1977; fate unknown|
|Notes:||The vessel was placed again in service on 7 April 1960 by Military Sealift Command for an unknown length of time for duty in the Antarctic.|
|Type:||Alamosa-class cargo ship|
|Tons burthen:||6,240 tons|
|Propulsion:||Diesel, single screw, 1,700shp|
|Complement:||85 officers and enlisted|
USNS Private Frank J. Petrarca (T-AK-250) was an Alamosa-class cargo ship that was constructed for the U.S. Navy during the closing period of World War II. However, the war ended, and she was transferred to the U.S. Army as USAT Private Frank J. Petrarca who kept her in service until transferred to the U.S. Navy in 1950.
Built in Long Beach, California
Private Frank J. Petrarca was laid down as Long Splice (MC hull 2329) by the Consolidated Steel Corporation, Ltd., Long Beach, California, 18 April 1945; launched 8 July 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Eloi J. Amar; and delivered to the U.S. Maritime Commission, thence to Lykes Brothers, 20 September 1945.
U.S. Army service
Renamed Private Frank J. Petrarca, 31 October 1947, she operated with the Army Transportation Service until again transferred, to the Navy, 1 July 1950.
Reacquired by the Navy on the latter date, she was again assigned to MSTS, under which she resumed cargo carrying duties between Pacific Ocean ports. In 1962, she participated in a cost and feasibility study of year round ocean service in Alaskan waters.
Four years later, she delivered supplies to McMurdo Sound, Antarctica, to support Deep Freeze ‘66. In accomplishing that mission she became the first cargo ship to be so employed without benefit of an ice-strengthened hull. Since that time, into 1970, Private Frank J. Petrarca continued to carry vital supplies and equipment, particularly to southeast Asia, for MSTS, Pacific.
She was struck from the Navy list on 15 October 1973 and subsequently sold on 1 December 1977, her ultimate fate unknown.
Honors and awards
Qualified vessel personnel were authorized the following:
- This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive - T-AK-250 Pvt. Frank J. Petrarca