USS Minidoka (AK-196)
|Namesake:||A county in southern Idaho|
|Ordered:||as type (C1-M-AV1) hull|
|Builder:||Walter Butler Shipbuilders, Inc., Superior, Wisconsin|
|Laid down:||26 August 1944|
|Launched:||13 January 1945|
|Completed:||5 May 1945|
|Refit:||refit at the Superior Yard canceled 25 August 1945|
|Fate:||transferred to the U.S. Maritime Commission; sold for commercial service|
|Type:||Alamosa-class cargo ship|
|Tons burthen:||7,435 tons|
|Propulsion:||Diesel, single screw, 1,700shp|
|Complement:||85 officers and enlisted|
|Armament:||one 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount; six 20mm guns|
USS Minidoka (AK-196) was an Alamosa-class cargo ship that was constructed for the U.S. Navy during the closing period of World War II. She was declared excess-to-needs and returned to the U.S. Maritime Commission.
Minidoka (AK 196), a C1-M-AV1 type cargo ship, was laid down under Maritime Commission contract by Walter Butler Shipbuilding Co., Inc., Superior, Wisconsin, 26 August 1944; launched 13 January 1945; sponsored by Mrs. R. N. Elder; and completed 5 May 1945. While under conversion for Navy use at the Superior yard of Walter Butler, her conversion was canceled 25 August 1945. Subsequently, she was returned to the Maritime Commission, renamed Coastal Herald, and operated for the Maritime Commission by Waterman Steamship Corporation.
Her ultimate fate is not known.
- This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive - AK-196 Minidoka