USS Lancaster (AK-193)
|Ordered:||as type (C1-M-AV1) hull, MC hull 2124|
|Builder:||Walter Butler Shipbuilders, Inc., Superior, Wisconsin|
|Laid down:||1 July 1944|
|Acquired:||by the U.S. Navy, 21 September 1945|
|Commissioned:||21 September 1945 as USS Lancaster (AK-193)|
|Decommissioned:||23 November 1945|
|Fate:||returned to the U.S. Maritime Commission for disposal, 23 November 1945|
|Type:||Alamosa-class cargo ship|
|Tons burthen:||7,435 tons|
|Propulsion:||Diesel, single screw, 1,700shp|
|Complement:||85 officers and enlisted|
|Armament:||one 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount; six 20mm guns|
USS Lancaster (AK-193) was an Alamosa-class cargo ship that was constructed by the U.S. Navy during the closing period of World War II. She was declared excess-to-needs and returned to the U.S. Maritime Commission shortly after commissioning.
The fourth ship to be so named by the Navy, Lancaster (AK-193), ex-MC Hull 2124, was laid down 1 July 1944 by Walter Butler Shipbuilding Inc., Superior, Wisconsin; launched the same year; acquired by the Navy 21 September 1945; and commissioned the same day.
The end of World War II reduced the need for cargo ships, and Lancaster decommissioned 23 November 1945. She was struck at an unknown date. Lancaster was returned to the War Shipping Administration. There is no record of her subsequent career.
- This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive - AK-193 Lancaster