USS Claiborne (AK-171)
|Ordered:||as C1-M-AV1 hull|
|Laid down:||date unknown|
|Launched:||3 September 1944|
|Commissioned:||19 April 1945|
|Decommissioned:||7 February 1946|
|Displacement:||2,382 t.(lt) 7,540 t.(fl)|
|Length:||388 ft 8 in (118.47 m)|
|Beam:||50 ft (15 m)|
|Draft:||21 ft 1 in (6.43 m)|
|Propulsion:||diesel engine, single screw, 1,700 shp|
|Speed:||11.5 knots (21 km/h)|
|Armament:||one 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, six 20 mm guns|
USS Claiborne (AK-171) was an Alamosa-class cargo ship commissioned by the U.S. Navy for service in World War II. She was responsible for delivering troops, goods and equipment to locations in the war zone.
Claiborne (AK-171) was launched 3 September 1944 by Froemming Brothers, Inc., Milwaukee, Wisconsin, under a Maritime Commission contract, sponsored by Miss L. Kapczynski; and commissioned 19 April 1945 at New Orleans, Louisiana, Lieutenant R. B. Johnston in command.
World War II Pacific Theatre operations
Claiborne departed Gulfport, Mississippi, 20 May 1945 and arrived at Hollandia, New Guinea, 5 July. For the next 6 months she operated in the Philippines and New Guinea areas, carrying food, and supplies, and helping to redeploy troops among the various islands. The cargo ship sailed from Manila 6 January 1946, for Yokosuka, Japan, anchoring there 13 January.
- Photo gallery of Claiborne at NavSource Naval History