USNS Private John F. Thorson (T-AK-247)
|Name:||Private John F. Thorson|
|Namesake:||A U.S. Army name retained: John F. Thorson|
|Ordered:||as type (C1-M-AV1) hull, MC hull 2486|
|Builder:||Southeastern Shipbuilding Corporation, Savannah, Georgia|
|Laid down:||8 January 1945|
|Launched:||26 February 1945|
|Sponsored by:||Mrs. L. S. deSevilla|
|Acquired:||by the U.S. Navy, 1 March 1950|
|Commissioned:||31 October 1947 as USAT Private John F. Thorson|
|Decommissioned:||1 March 1950|
|In service:||1 March 1950 as USNS Private John F. Thorson (T-AK-247)|
|Out of service:||2 August 1954|
|Struck:||1 October 1958|
|Fate:||scrapped, 29 August 1960|
|Type:||Alamosa-class cargo ship|
|Tons burthen:||6,240 tons|
|Propulsion:||Diesel, single screw, 1,700shp|
|Complement:||85 officers and enlisted|
USNS Private John F. Thorson (T-AK-247) was an Alamosa-class cargo ship that was constructed for the U.S. Navy during the closing period of World War II. However, the war ended, and she was transferred to the U.S. Army as USAT Private John F. Thorson who kept her in service until transferred to the U.S. Navy in 1950. She was struck in 1960, ending her military career.
Built in Savannah, Georgia
Private John F. Thorson, a cargo ship, was laid down as Becket Bend (MC hull 2486) by the Southeastern Shipbuilding Corporation, Savannah, Georgia. 8 January 1945; launched 26 February 1945; sponsored by Mrs. L. S. deSevilla; and delivered via the U.S. Maritime Commission to Moore-McCormack Lines, Inc. 6 July 1945.
As Becket Bend, the cargo ship was operated by MooreMcCormack under General Agency Agreement. Title for the ship was transferred from the War Shipping Administration to the Army 23 July 1954 and the actual transfer to custody took place two days later at New Orleans, Louisiana.
U.S. Army service
Renamed Private John F. Thorson 31 October 1947, she operated as an Army Transportation Service ship until transferred to the Navy 1 March 1950.
Placed in service as T–AK–247, she was assigned to the Military Sea Transportation Service (MSTS) and operated from Gulf ports until 1954. Transferred to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, Charleston, South Carolina, Group, she decommissioned 2 August 1954 and was struck from the Navy List 1 October 1958.
Private John F. Thorson remained at Charleston until transferred to the U.S. Maritime Administration 29 August 1960. The same day she was sold to Hugo New Steel Products, New York City, for scrap.
- This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive - T-AK-247 Pvt John F. Thorson