USS Tarrant (AK-214)
|Namesake:||A county in Texas|
|Ordered:||as type (C1-M-AV1) hull, MC hull 2168|
|Builder:||Leatham D. Smith Shipbuilding Co., Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin|
|Laid down:||4 December 1944|
|Launched:||25 February 1945|
|Sponsored by:||Miss Agnes Larson|
|Commissioned:||18 September 1945 as USS Tarrant (AK-214)|
|Decommissioned:||21 November 1945|
|Struck:||5 December 1945|
|Fate:||returned to the War Shipping Administration 5 December 1945 for disposal|
|Type:||Alamosa-class cargo ship|
|Tons burthen:||7,435 tons|
|Propulsion:||Diesel, single screw, 1,700shp|
|Complement:||85 officers and enlisted|
|Armament:||one 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount; six 20mm guns|
USS Tarrant (AK-214) was an Alamosa-class cargo ship that was constructed for the U.S. Navy during the closing period of World War II. She was commissioned; however, the war ended and she was returned to the War Shipping Administration in November 1945 for disposal.
Built in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
Tarrant (AK-214), was laid down under U.S. Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 2168) on 4 December 1944 by the Leathern D. Smith Shipbuilding Co., Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin.; launched on 25 February 1945; sponsored by Miss Agnes Larson; and commissioned on 18 September 1945, Lt. Comdr. F. A. Simmons, USCGR, in command.
Tarrant and her U.S. Coast Guard crew reported to the Commander in Chief, Atlantic Fleet, on 24 September as available for her shakedown cruise. However, since World War II had ended, she was ordered to report to the Commandant, 8th Naval District for disposal.
- This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive - AK-214 Tarrant