USS Clarion (AK-172)
|Ordered:||as C1-M-AV1 hull|
|Laid down:||date unknown|
|Launched:||22 October 1944|
|Acquired:||10 May 1945|
|Commissioned:||27 May 1945|
|Decommissioned:||13 May 1946|
|Displacement:||2,382 t.(lt) 7,540 t.(fl)|
|Length:||388 ft 8 in (118.47 m)|
|Beam:||50 ft (15 m)|
|Draft:||21 ft 1 in (6.43 m)|
|Propulsion:||diesel engine, single screw, 1,700 shp|
|Speed:||11.5 knots (21 km/h)|
|Armament:||one 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, six 20 mm guns|
USS Clarion (AK-172) was an Alamosa-class cargo ship commissioned by the U.S. Navy for service in World War II. She was responsible for delivering troops, goods and equipment to locations in the war zone.
Clarion (AK-172) was launched 22 October 1944 by Froemming Brothers, Inc., Milwaukee, Wisconsin, under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Miss V. L. Huebner; acquired by the Navy 10 May 1945; and commissioned 27 May 1945, Lieutenant F. L. Johnson, USNR, in command.
World War II Pacific Theatre operations
After loading cargo at Gulf of Mexico ports, Clarion sailed for Pearl Harbor, which she reached 21 July 1945. Three days later she got underway for San Francisco, California, to load cargo for Manila, where she arrived 1 October. Carrying cargo to support occupation activities, she called at Jinsen, Korea, and Tsingtao, Taku, and Shanghai, China, before sailing for the U.S. East Coast from Tsingtao 21 January 1946.
- Photo gallery of Clarion at NavSource Naval History