USS Caledonia (AK-167)
|Namesake:||a county in Vermont|
|Ordered:||as C1-M-AV1 hull|
|Laid down:||date unknown|
|Launched:||1 January 1945|
|Acquired:||13 March 1945|
|Commissioned:||13 March 1945|
|Decommissioned:||25 March 1946|
|Displacement:||2,382 t.(lt) 7,540 t.(fl)|
|Length:||388 ft 8 in (118.47 m)|
|Beam:||50 ft (15 m)|
|Draught:||21 ft 1 in (6.43 m)|
|Propulsion:||diesel engine, single screw, 1,700 shp|
|Armament:||one 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, six 20mm guns|
USS Caledonia (AK-167) was an Alamosa-class cargo ship commissioned by the U.S. Navy for service in World War II. She was responsible for delivering troops, goods and equipment to locations in the war zone.
The second ship to be named Caledonia by the Navy, AK-167 was launched 1 January 1945 by Kaiser Cargo, Inc., Richmond, California, under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. V. Brown; acquired by the Navy 13 March 1945; commissioned the same day, Lieutenant F. G. Stelte in command; and reported to the U.S. Pacific Fleet.
World War II Pacific Theatre operations
Assigned to a role in the Navy's gigantic logistic task of supplying military forces in the Pacific while still carrying out naval, air, and amphibious warfare, Caledonia sailed from San Francisco, California, 1 May 1945, laden with cargo for the base at Manus, where she began discharging 23 May. The cargo ship completed offloading at Samar, Philippine Islands, on 22 June, then steamed to Darwin, Australia, and Milne Bay, New Guinea, to reload supplies essentially needed in the Philippines. After offloading at Samar and Subic Bay in August and September, Caledonia made another voyage to Noumea, New Caledonia, for cargo, returning to Samar, from which she cleared 30 December for Baltimore, Maryland.
Caledonia was decommissioned there 25 March 1946, and was returned to the Maritime Commission four days later.
- This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.