USS Lehigh (AK-192)
|Namesake:||A county in Pennsylvania|
|Ordered:||as type (C1-M-AV1) hull|
|Builder:||Walter Butler Shipbuilders, Inc., Superior, Wisconsin|
|Laid down:||8 June 1944, as Coastal Expounder|
|Launched:||25 November 1944|
|Sponsored by:||Mrs. Stanley Butler|
|Acquired:||by the U.S. Navy, 30 July 1945|
|Commissioned:||13 September 1945 as USS Lehigh (AK-192) at New Orleans, Louisiana|
|Decommissioned:||6 November 1945|
|Fate:||transferred to the U.S. Maritime Commission for disposal, 6 November 1945|
|Type:||Alamosa-class cargo ship|
|Tons burthen:||7,435 tons|
|Propulsion:||Diesel, single screw, 1,700shp|
|Complement:||85 officers and enlisted|
|Armament:||one 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount; six 20mm guns|
USS Lehigh (AK-192) was an Alamosa-class cargo ship that was constructed by the U.S. Navy during the closing period of World War II. She was declared excess-to-needs and returned to the U.S. Maritime Commission shortly after commissioning.
The second ship to be so named by the Navy, Lehigh (AK-192) was laid down under a Maritime Commission contract by Walter Butler Shipbuilding Co., Superior, Wisconsin, 8 June 1944; launched 25 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Stanley Butler; acquired by the Navy 30 July 1945.
Lehigh placed in service the same day for ferrying from Beaumont, Texas, to Galveston, Texas; placed out of service on the 31st; and commissioned at New Orleans 13 September 1945, Lt. George Kotnick in command. Because of the reduced need for cargo ships following World War II, Lehigh decommissioned 6 November 1945 and was turned over to the War Shipping Administration (WSA) the same day.
Her ultimate fate is not known.
- This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive - AK-192 Lehigh