USS Craighead (AK-175)
|Ordered:||as C1-M-AV1 hull|
|Laid down:||date unknown|
|Launched:||28 February 1945|
|Acquired:||31 July 1945|
|Commissioned:||5 September 1945|
|Decommissioned:||18 January 1946|
|Displacement:||2,382 t.(lt) 7,540 t.(fl)|
|Length:||388 ft 8 in (118.47 m)|
|Beam:||50 ft (15 m)|
|Draught:||21 ft 1 in (6.43 m)|
|Propulsion:||diesel engine, single screw, 1,700 shp|
|Speed:||11.5 knots (21 km/h)|
|Armament:||one 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, six 20 mm guns|
USS Craighead (AK-175) was an Alamosa-class cargo ship commissioned by the U.S. Navy for service in World War II. She was responsible for delivering troops, goods and equipment to locations in the war zone.
Craighead (AK-175) was launched 28 February 1945 by Froemming Brothers, Inc., Milwaukee, Wisconsin, under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. W. R. Provoost; transferred to the Navy 31 July 1945; and commissioned 5 September 1945, Lieutenant Commander G. M. Walker, USNR, in command.
Post-World War II activity
Craighead sailed from Galveston, Texas, 25 September 1945 and arrived at Davisville, Rhode Island, 4 October to load cargo for construction battalions on the U.S. West Coast. She sailed from Davisville 25 October, arriving at San Pedro, California, 15 November. After sailing on cargo duty between Port Hueneme, San Pedro, and San Francisco, California, she sailed 14 December 1945 for Norfolk where she arrived 5 January 1946.
Craighead was decommissioned 18 January 1946 and returned to the Maritime Commission the same day for disposal.
- Photo gallery of Craighead at NavSource Naval History