USS Richland (AK-207)
|Namesake:||named for counties in Illinois, Louisiana, Montana, North Dakota, South Carolina, and Wisconsin|
|Ordered:||as type (C1-M-AV1) hull, MC hull 2161|
|Builder:||Leatham D. Smith Shipbuilding Co., Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin|
|Laid down:||15 January 1944|
|Launched:||5 August 1944|
|Sponsored by:||Mrs. Warren G. Brown|
|Acquired:||by the U.S. Navy, 17 April 1945|
|Commissioned:||22 April 1945 as USS Richland (AK-207) at Houston, Texas|
|Decommissioned:||23 January 1946 at Mobile, Alabama|
|Refit:||for naval service at Port Houston Iron Works, Houston, Texas|
|Struck:||7 February 1946|
|Fate:||sold for scrapping, 1971|
|Type:||Alamosa-class cargo ship|
|Tons burthen:||7,435 tons|
|Propulsion:||Diesel, single screw, 1,700shp|
|Complement:||85 officers and enlisted|
|Armament:||one 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount; six 20mm guns|
USS Richland (AK-207) was an Alamosa-class cargo ship that was constructed for the U.S. Navy during the closing period of World War II. She served with distinction in the Pacific Ocean theatre of operations and returned home in 1946 to be placed into the “mothball” fleet where she silently remained until scrapped in 1971.
Built in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
The first ship to be so named by the navy, Richland (AK-207) built under U.S. Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 2161) was laid down 15 January 1944 by Leathem D. Smith Shipbuilding Co., Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin; launched 5 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Warren G. Brown; acquired from the Maritime Commission on a loan-charter basis 17 April 1945 at Port Houston Iron Works, Texas, where she was converted for Navy use and commissioned 22 April 1945, Lt. Isaac Hills III, USNR, in command.
World War II service
Following shakedown in the Gulf of Mexico, Richland transited the Panama Canal and reported to the U.S. Pacific Fleet for duty 10 June 1945. She arrived in Leyte Gulf 17 July and operated on cargo hauls in Philippine Islands waters until steaming for the United States 9 November.
Richland transited the Panama Canal 16 December 1945 and proceeded to Norfolk, Virginia. She then continued to Mobile, Alabama, where she decommissioned 23 January 1946. She was struck from the Navy list 7 February 1946, redelivered to the U.S. Maritime Commission and placed in the Naval Defense Reserve Fleet. She was berthed at Mobile, Alabama, through the first half of 1971 and subsequently scrapped.
- This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive - AK-207 Richland