USS Autauga (AK-160)
|Ordered:||as C1-M-AV1) hull, MC hull 2105|
|Laid down:||10 May 1944|
|Launched:||7 August 1944|
|Acquired:||24 November 1944|
|Commissioned:||24 November 1944|
|Decommissioned:||24 June 1946|
|Struck:||19 July 1946|
|Fate:||sold in 1949|
|Displacement:||2,382 t.(lt) 7,540 t.(fl)|
|Length:||388 ft 8 in (118.47 m)|
|Beam:||50 ft (15 m)|
|Draught:||21 ft 1 in (6.43 m)|
|Propulsion:||Diesel, single screw, 1,700shp|
|Armament:||one 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, six 20mm guns|
USS Autauga (AK-160) was an Alamosa-class cargo ship commissioned by the U.S. Navy for service in World War II. She was responsible for delivering troops, goods and equipment to locations in the war zone.
Autauga (AK-160) was laid down under a Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 2105) on 10 May 1944 at Richmond, California, by the Kaiser Cargo Co.; launched on 7 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Leroy Lloyd; delivered to the Navy at her builder's yard on 24 November 1944; and commissioned the same day, Lt. Comdr. George L. Eastman, USNR, in command.
World War II Pacific Theatre operations
After conversion to a cargo ship at the Navy Drydocks, Terminal Island, California, between 6 December 1944 and 9 January 1945, Autauga conducted her shakedown training out of San Pedro, California, from 10 to 22 January before shifting to Port Chicago, California early in February to load cargo. Autauga then departed San Francisco, California, on 16 February and, following a stop in the Marshalls, reached the Carolines one month later. After reporting to Commander, Service Squadron (ServRon) 10, at Ulithi as an ammunition issue and rework ship, she received from bulk carriers and then issued them to ships and craft that ranged from patrol boats to battleships.
Leaving Ulithi in her wake on 9 July, the cargo ship sailed for the Marshalls and reached Eniwetok on the 16th to resume operation as an ammunition issue and rework vessel of Service Division 102. After hostilities with Japan ended in mid-August, she sailed for the United States on 8 November, having serviced almost 400 ships.
Autauga reached the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard on the 29th. Although initially earmarked for delivery to the War Shipping Administration (WSA) at Norfolk, Virginia, she was later directed to remain in the 13th Naval District because of the heavy workload at Norfolk.
Decommissioned on 24 June 1946, Autauga was delivered to the WSA the next day, and her name was struck from the Navy List on 19 July 1946.
Acquired by the Koninklijke Nederlandsche Stoomboot N.V. of Amsterdam, Holland, and renamed SS Hersilia, the former Navy cargo ship operated out of Amsterdam, under the Dutch flag, from 1949 to 1962. Subsequently bought by the Saudi Arabian concern, the Saudi Lines, and renamed Fauzia B, she served commercially from 1963 to 1971 before her name disappeared from contemporary shipping registers in 1972.
This article includes text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.
- Ship infoboxes without an image
- Pages with broken file links
- Wikipedia articles incorporating text from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
- Alamosa class cargo ships
- Ships built in Richmond, California
- 1944 ships
- World War II auxiliary ships of the United States
- United States Navy Alabama-related ships